Monday, October 21, 2013

Reflections: October 2013 Juicy Soul Retreat



Thanks everyone for coming out to continue in existing art journals or start new journals!

Generous baskets of inks, paints, brushes, papers, gesso, ets.
Painty Hands


The lovely Andrea, co-lead of the Juicy Soul Retreat...so sweet.

First time ever...Ephemera Bar...Lots of flea market finds to use in our journals.


4 years ago, Andrea and I dreamed up the Juicy Soul Retreat as a way to demystify the creative process and share techniques we use in our art journaling process with others.  

It was a personal challenge for me to figure out how to teach something I've done most of my life.  Teaching the class allowed me to slow down and notice the components of my creative process. In the process I learned to appreciate not only my creative process but the creative process we all share.  It's this sacred conversation between the artist and the Divine. Its really precious.

It's amazing to look back at the early days of the retreat when we followed a very specific agenda and set of techniques.  Now we have simplified our workshop to offer the techniques with the most creative impact. We've also started to share ways of approaching the blank page and included games that bring out creative expression.  The result ... more interaction in the class, more experiencing the creative process and more opportunity to learn from each other.

As we close on the 4th season of the Juicy Soul Retreat, I grateful for the opportunity to  offer guidance to those on the creative path and I am inspired by the bravery of the students and the unwavering partnership of my co-lead, Andrea. 

We'll see you with more retreats in 2014...stay tuned!