Saturday, July 2, 2011

Freedom!



As the 4th of July weekend begins, I've been thinking about freedom. I have been on a journey over the last month or so to discover spaces in my life where I can expand my experience of freedom.  When ever I call out to the universe in that way, there is a response...

I was at a workshop and saw this woman with the most beautiful curly hair. I could not stop watching her hair. I found myself looking at each shiny curl. I pulled out my mini journal and began to write about the experience. What I discovered was that its time for me to embrace my own naturally curly hair. I have been flat ironing my hair for years to hide the curls and keep things neat.  I tried going naturally curly years ago and I just looked like I put my finger in an electrical socket. As I wrote in my journal, I could see how my concerns about my hair have limited me in ways I had never seen before.  I never choose humid places to go on vacation because of my hair. I don't like to go to dance clubs because of my hair. I don't like to go anywhere when its rainy because of my hair. One time I had a chance to live in Seattle and I turned it down because the weather would mess up my hair. Its kind of funny when I think about it.

So my journey is taking me in a new direction...to find freedom and acceptance of my hair. I asked the woman with the beautiful curly hair where she got her hair done and she told me that there was a salon in San Francisco that specializes in curly hair exclusively. That's the next part of my journey. I'll keep you posted.

Journal prompt:
Where are you experiencing more freedom in your life?