Sunday, June 16, 2013

Happy Father's Day!


Happy Father's Day to my Dad 
Donald Valentine.
 He's the one who encouraged my creative side.
My dad is such a great guy.

My first introduction to painting was using his oil paints from his professional painting kit.
I didn't like the smell of the turpentine, so I quickly moved to poster paints.

He created a little art studio for me in his dark room next to our laundry room.
It was a corner of the room with 
an old green drop leaf table, a chair and a light .
He gave me a little radio to play music.
He made sure I had lots a paper, charcoal and brushes.
(My favorite pad of paper was a big pad of newsprint.)
I remember loving that little space.
It was where I could express myself and be alone with my thoughts.

One of the things I loved to do with my dad was ride with him to is
photography studio at the Torpedo Factory in Virginia.
The windows would be down and
Jazz would be playing on the radio. 
and we would sit in silence and ride while listening to
Jazz greats like John Coltrane, Hubert Laws, and Thelonious Monk.

I appreciate my dad for teaching me how to express myself creatively and 
give me room to just be myself with him.
My dad just gets me and that is such a blessing.