Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Art Studio Storage Solutions: Cigar Boxes



I shared this week about how I organized my art supplies using cigar boxes. I wanted to say a little more about that for those of you who might want to try it. 

 I got my boxes from a local cigar store. I searched out a few shops for the best boxes. I found the older cigar shops (the ones that have been there for years, family owned, lots of locals hanging out to chat) were the best ones.  Maybe its because they  have a deep history with their customers offering the best cigars. The result has been really great cigar boxes.  

There were 2 types of boxes...the cardboard boxes ($2 ea.) and the wood boxes ($4 ea.). I'm not sure what the going rate is for cigar boxes but this shop has some of the most interesting boxes I've seen, so the price seemed right.  

I looked for ones with interesting art. 
I looked for ones that were big and rectangular.  
I got a few with a latch (to keep the box closed if it took a tumble). 
I looked the ones that were about the same height to make it easier to stack on a shelf.
I walked away with 6 lovely boxes and lots of ideas for storing my art supplies.

I created labels for my boxes with Martha Stewart Bookplates in copper. These bookplates are adhesive and have a really strong hold. (Careful putting them down, they are hard to remove). I used my lovely label maker and the cards provided with the book plates to create short descriptions for the contents of each box. 

I love my new storage.

Let me know if you try this or if you have any other creative art storage ideas.

~ Julie