Tuesday, September 23, 2014

The Ritual of Creative Time




Sometimes when the day is done and everyone has gone to bed, I go to my studio to create. I start by pulling out materials I want to "play" with. This usually includes items I've been saving for a rainy day. I fill a jar with water and pick my favorite brushes.  I find a journal and open to a new page, canvas 
or decide to work on an existing page in my journal. 
Then I find music that inspires me. I love Pandora because I can create stations that fit many different moods. Pandora provides music based on my mood. I often get introduced to new music and that adds to my inspiration.



Tonight I began to play with images and textures from magazines. I started by ripping pages that captured my attention. Then I went back and cut out the portions of the page that inspired me. I then cut the pages in to smaller shapes. 

Tonight I was inspired by stripes and lines.


My next step was to paint, stencil, scrape and drip colorful paint on my canvas. I let the canvas dry completely and then added my magazine strips
on the canvas with heavy gel medium. 



The result begins a story that I will add words or poetry to on my next session in the studio.
Tonight was a happy night of creating.